This year is bound to be big. BIIIIIIGGGGGG. There'll be smiles, tears, laughter, holidays, flights, flights, flights, challenges, desperation, delirium, nappies, happiness... all rolled into one. I'm excited ;)
2011 was a year in itself. A year definitely worth remembering and definitely worth (an albeit belated) 'Round-Up' post. And because I love a list, and a bullet point....here goes:
- I thought I hadn't travelled that much but still managed Bali, Cebu, Hanoi, Yangshuo, Macau, Guangzhou, Singapore, Phuket, London, Paris, Sydney (x3). Not bad, not bad at all.
- I spent a good 8 months unsuccessfully attempting to find a job. Some of the most demoralising months of my life.
- I decided it was time to change direction and completed a writing course through the Sydney Writer's Centre.
- I started and promptly finished what "I-thought-would-be-amazing-but-turned-out-to-be-shite" editorial internship.
- I ventured into the world of freelance writing. And LOVED it.
- I did 3 months of Mandarin lessons. "Ni hao". That's all I can remember.
- I re-ignited my inner sports star and went to Singapore on a netball tour.
- I was a bridesmaid at my best friend's wedding and got to attend three other beautiful ones.
- I had the best T-bone steak at one of said weddings. All time. Unforgettable. And definitely worth it's own bullet point.
- I suffered from some serious homesickness. And managed to deal with it, move on and start to feel like Hong Kong is home. Never thought I'd hear myself say that.
- I got PREGNANT!!! Highlight, in my books.
- I spent 9 months off booze. Low point, in my books.
- My bosoms went from mediocre to marvellous. Even if I do say so myself.
- I turned 30. Moving swiftly on.
- We bought a car. The joy, oh the joy, of sunroof down, music on, freedom. The pain, oh the pain, of the cost of fixing it.
- I filled out applications for high school for my unborn son. No shit. For 2022. Ridic.
- This song came out and I CAN'T stop listening to it.
- We had visitors galore to stay with us in HK.
- We had our first wedding anniversary. Ohhhhh..... Phil celebrated by taking himself off to New Zealand for the Rugby World Cup. Did someone say karma?
- Our family dog had day surgery on her tooth. You'd think the Queen had undergone life-threatening brain surgery. She, the dog, is fine. As is, I believe, the Queen.
- I decided I rather like waking up to the sound of jackhammers every morning.
- The last one is a blatant LIE.
So there you go. A whirlwind of a year for me. Settling into a new city, a new country, a new culture. With new friends, a new way of life, a new normal.
And just when we thought things had settled down, when we'd got ourselves sorted and figured things out, we're set to start anew all over again when our little baby pops into the world in the next few weeks. Such is life, eh? It'd be boring without all this change, wouldn't it?
Remind me I said that in a few months would you?
I wonder what 2012 will bring?